Course code: CORE - call 0845 071 2801
Course duration: 1 day.
In a busy working environment, conflicting views and ideas understandably surface from time to time.
With the stress of delivering strategic objectives, meeting deadlines, and juggling different departmental priorities, it is essential that everyone in the workplace has the ability to understand, recognise and implement strategies for managing and resolving conflict.
This is a highly practical one-day course which will address the many aspects of conflict and how best to resolve it. This workshop has been specifically designed to give you an opportunity to learn and test a range of models and techniques to help recognise, manage and resolve conflict in the workplace.
Is it right for me?
Designed and suitable for anyone who wishes to enhance their skills in conflict management and resolution. If you are in a role that brings you into contact with other teams or departments, or if you manage individuals where conflict can be an issue, this course is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the nature of conflict
- Manage conflict appropriately, professionally and most of all confidently
- Use a number of conflict management techniques to suit a range of situations
- Avoid the negative impact of conflict and work towards compromise and resolution
Participants will be asked to prepare for the course by identifying real work conflict issues they are involved in. They will then use these examples to apply the techniques and skills learnt on the day to plan and rehearse how best to work towards a resolution.
What will it cover?
Raise your Awareness of Conflict
- Why is conflict on the increase?
- Identifying the four most common sources and levels of conflict
- Explore the belief/behaviour cycle that can underpin conflict
Understanding Conflict Situations
- Master your own emotions in a conflict situation
- How to analyse the conflict so it is clear and easy to understand
- Emphasise what you agree on and what you do not agree on
The Power of Open and Honest Communications when Conflict Arises
- The key interpersonal skills for resolving conflict
- Listen without judgment and ask focused questions
- Simple ideas for resolving conflict
- Understand the impact of body language
Techniques and Tactics for Managing Conflict
- Employ a systematic approach to solve conflicts
- The five key conflict handling strategies
- Follow a positive strategy for conflict resolution
- Emphasise a win/win strategy
How to Manage Conflict Escalation
- The impact of aggressive behaviour
- Dealing with aggressive and negative behaviour
- Responding to personal criticism and entrenched behaviour
- Non-threatening ways to highlight the consequences of escalation
- Develop an action plan to apply in your workplace
Further courses to consider
Managing Anger and Aggressive Behaviour
Prue Canham, Service Improvement Manager
Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service
Phil is an excellent trainer - he presents the material in an engaging and interesting way, whilst maintaining a balanced pace with plenty of time for exercises and questions. He is clearly an expert in his field. I would happily recommend this course; it was a good experience.