Course code: HSW - call 0845 071 2801
Course duration: 1 day.
A one-day course providing you with an essential overview of health and safety issues and current legislation.
This intensive and informative course provides delegates with an understanding of current health and safety legislation and provides practical options on how best to manage health and safety effectively in the workplace.
Is it right for me?
Suitable for all staff responsible for, or needing to increase their awareness of, health and safety at work.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the health and safety requirements in the workplace for your organisation.
- Review health and safety policies in your organisation.
- Set up a structure for a safety management system.
- Put in place safety monitoring techniques.
- Put in place accident prevention techniques.
- Understand the detail of RIDDOR.
- Demonstrate an up-to-date understanding of health and safety legislation.
What will it cover?
Health and Safety Law
- UK legislation - Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Regulations
- European Directives 1992 - including Introduction to Manual Handling Regulations 1992, Display Screen Equipment Regulations 1992, Personal Protective Equipment
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- Burden of proof and compliance
Employers' and Employees' Legal Responsibilities
- The employer's duty of care
- Employers responsibility for permanent and temporary staff, visitors, contractors, people with disabilities, pregnant staff and customers
- Creating a safety conscious environment
- Employee responsibilities - health and safety committees and representatives
Managing and Monitoring Health and Safety at Work
- Safety systems and safety monitoring at work
- Principles of accident prevention
- Accident reporting and investigation
- The management of health and safety at work
- The principles of assessing and managing risk
- Carry out risk assessment and auditing health and safety in the workplace
- The five-step approach to risk assessment
Health & safety is a vast subject and it can be quite intimidating if a manager or staff member is suddenly given the responsibility for managing it within the workplace.
During the course I attempt to counter the fears that newcomers to Health & safety may have and encourage delegates to see it not as an excuse to stop staff from doing things, but to ensure that they are able to accomplish their daily tasks in as safe an environment and manner as possible.
Speaking as a manager with Health & safety responsibilities, rather than a health and safety professional, I aim to send delegates away with a basic understanding of health and safety management, risk assessment, regulations and accident prevention and reporting, all vital areas to working safely.
Malcolm Caudren is part of the dedicated faculty team who will deliver this course.
View our trainers' profiles.
Audrey Bousquet, HR & Office Coordinator
I was not expecting such a lively course! Very interesting and informative. The trainer was great, gave the right information. The course setting was in a very nice atmosphere.