Course duration: 2 days.
Todays office professional is under pressure to take on more responsibility, juggle more tasks and work for more than one manager or team. However, peoples perceptions of the PAs role remain the same. This course provides practical guidance on changing these perceptions. It will help you to enhance your personal effectiveness through improved self-awareness, setting SMART goals and objectives, effective communication, assertiveness, self-confidence and networking.
Is it right for me?
Suitable for PAs, secretaries and administrators who are keen to maximise their personal effectiveness to improve their performance at work.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognise and acknowledge your strengths and areas for development.
- Manage your stress levels and improve your efficiency at work.
- Communicate more effectively.
- Be more assertive and confident with your work colleagues.
- Use persuasion and influence to achieve your objectives.
- Understand the benefits of networking.
- Set a personal action plan with achievable goals.
What will it cover?
Getting Focused - Working to Goals and Objectives
- Identifying your organisation's values and objectives
- Supporting your manager's/team's objectives
- Working to your own goals and objectives
Understanding How You Work and Identifying Areas for Improvement
- Personal SWOT - identifying personal strengths and development areas
- Building on your strengths and exploring personal potential
- Recognising the signs of stress
- Understanding and developing methods to cope with stress
Effective Communication Skills
- What impact does your communication have on others?
- Verbal communication, personal image and body language
- Identifying and overcoming the barriers to effective communication and relationship building
- How to communicate not just inform
- Effective questioning and listening
Developing your Assertiveness and Self-confidence
- How your behaviour impacts on others
- Defining and understanding assertive behaviour and its value
- Putting assertiveness into practice
- Saying no confidently without guilt
- Developing your level of confidence
Persuading and Influencing Others
- Influencing others to achieve prompt response and deadlines
- Voicing your views, ideas and requests in a persuasive manner
- Gaining cooperation from others and minimising conflict
Successful Networking - Developing Relationships and Learning from Others
- The values and benefits of networking
- Building cross-functional relationships
- Understanding where networking opportunities exist and widening your support network
- Formulating a personal action plan
Further courses to consider
Commercial and Business Awareness for Experienced PAs and Secretaries
Management Skills for PAs and Senior Secretaries
Developing Your Personal Impact and Building Productive Relationships
We've packed a lot into this two-day course and it's my aim to make sure you leave with a new found confidence and effectiveness at work. I'll help you develop the skills to really understand why others at work behave as they do and to understand more about your own feelings and behaviour.
Throughout the course I will help you examine your own strengths and areas for development. You will learn how to control your reactions so you come across confident and influential - behaviour that will lead to productive relationships at work.
Along with Lois Grant and Malcolm Caudren, George Baxter is part of the dedicated faculty team who will deliver this course.
View our trainers' profiles.
Recent delegates said:
Alison is an excellent tutor. This is the second time I have met her and hope to meet her again.
Sharmila Banerjee, Secretary
"I felt the course was very useful for my personal development especially in a professional sense. It was encouraging to identify my personal style and analyze different strategies to deal positively with others. It made me realise there are lots of subtle ways to improve communication that I can work on. The course was perfectly pitched and exactly what I hoped for."