Course duration: 1 day.
Identify your current remote management practices and learn how to apply tried and tested techniques in the context of remote management.
With an increase in dispersed, virtual and remote teams, managers face new challenges in working with their teams from a distance. This course is focused on building and sustaining high performance in a remote team setting.
Is it right for me?
People who currently lead remote teams and who are focused on raising their own performance as team leaders as well as improving the results of their team.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define effective leadership behaviours of remote teams.
- Identify what remote team members need and expect from team leaders.
- Use a combination of communication channels and methods to support effective team working.
- Create and maintain motivation and team spirit within remote working environments.
- Use a number of techniques to manage and maximize the performance of remote team members.
What will it cover?
Defining Effective Characteristics of Remote Teams
- Defining the type of team you manage
- Identifying the challenges and opportunities of remote working
- Differentiating between static and remote teams
- Identifying the behaviors, skills and qualities of highly effective remote team leaders
Building a High Performance Remote Team
- Defining remote team members expectations of their team leader
- Creating the right environment
- Engendering team spirit and trust
- Understanding the emotional, psychological and physical requirements of remote workers
- Maximising the strengths a remote team offer
Communication Tools and Techniques
- Identifying and overcoming the barriers to effective remote communication
- Planning when and how often to communicate
- Selecting the right communication method
- Developing and implementing communication systems and processes using technology such as online forums and online virtual meetings
Managing Team Performance and Motivation
- Creating a virtual environment to motivate the remote team
- Supporting and developing the team from a distance
- Providing effective feedback to the team and individuals
- Coaching from a distance
- Measuring team performance on an ongoing basis
Continuing Your Development
- Develop a personal action plan to support your return to the workplace
Further courses to consider
Increase your Business Confidence - 10 steps for success in and out of the workplace
I personally find that delegates build their philosophy and action plan around the 5 Ts
of remote management, which form the basis of this event ie:
Trust challenging the idea that the mice will play while the cats away but instead managing remotely by principles, ground rules, results and outputs.
Targets ensuring the team truly understands what success means.
Tracking agreeing those key things that do need to be measured and monitored.
Team Spirit sharing many ideas on building team identity, loyalty and motivation of team members even if working at a distance nationally or internationally.
Technology tips on use of tools such as e-mail, audio and video conferencing.
Along with Hazel Lewis, Kush Shukla and Sue Savage, Colin Willsher is part of the dedicated faculty team who will deliver this course.
View our trainers' profiles.
Recent delegates have said:
The trainer was great and really helped explain to whole team.
Jason Perry, Manager
"I really benefitted from this course and particularly enjoyed the section on identifying how we look at remote teams. The small size of the group was good and I thought the pace of the course was just right."