Course code: PPS - call 0845 071 2801
Course duration: 2 days.
Too many programmes and projects fail due to lack of appropriate sponsorship and buy in from the organisation. If you want to gain the skills that directly address these shortcomings, the Programme and Project Sponsorship course is for you.
The PPS syllabus covers the following training modules:
- The role of the sponsor
- The sponsor working with people
- Identifying and establishing a programme/project
- The delivery journey.
The syllabus is methodology independent and uses generic terms as far as possible. However, it is assumed that candidates are familiar with the Cabinet Office Best Practice Guidance. Candidates should also be, or aspire to become, Programme and Project Sponsors, also known as SROs/Project Executives. They are typically at management or senior level in their organisations who often have responsibility for several programmes or projects.
Is it right for me?
The PPS course has been developed for:
- Existing or aspiring programme or project sponsors
- Senior responsible owners
- Project executives
- Change managers.
No formal programme or project qualifications are required, although it is assumed that delegates will be familiar with a programme or project management environment.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course, delegates will:
- Appreciate the role of the sponsor, in the development of the vision and strategy for the programme/project and make effective use of key tools and techniques for a successful outcome
- Use effectual leadership, influencing and communication skills to engage with stakeholders, handle reactions to change, and create appropriate delivery teams
- Identify, define and convey the purpose of the initiative, providing appropriate direction and interventions during initiation, and establish an environment that will maximise the chances of success
- Appropriately handle issues requiring sponsor-level attention during the delivery phase(s) of the programme/project and achieve its effective closure
- Test their level of understanding of the concepts covered, by completing practice examination questions in preparation for the PPS Objective
- Undertake the Objective Test Examination (OTE)
What will it cover?
The Role of the Sponsor
- What are we doing?
- Why are we doing it?
- What do I need to help me deliver?
- What could stop me?
The Sponsor Working with People
- Who could be affected?
- How will they react?
- How to best communicate
- How do I build the right team?
Identifying and Establishing a Programme or Project
- How policy or strategy evolves?
- What is the target?
- How can we be sure we will deliver?
The Delivery Journey
- How do I stay in control?
- Are we following good working practice?
- Am I being told everything?
- Reaching the destination?
The Objective Test Examination
- Understand the objective test examination
- Examination techniques
- Apply the learning to practice questions