Understanding and employing effective communication techniques in the office can help you achieve your objectives.
This hands-on personal effectiveness and communication training course focuses on all of the critical elements, allowing you to leave the course with a plan to build your self-confidence and improve your communication techniques. You will also take away tips, techniques and templates to support you in implementing your communication skills back in the workplace. So whether you need to engage, influence and connect with people in one-to-one discussions, meetings, presentations, audio conferences or other face-to-face methods, this course will give you the underpinning tools to communicate effectively and consistently.
For those wishing to improve their communication skills with others, face-to-face, in meetings or on the telephone. If you are a senior manager looking to communicate at all levels then you may wish to consider Senior Level Communication Skills Workshop.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- State barriers and filters in communication and how to manage them.
- Engage with others using effective questioning, listening and body language, and understand their perceptions and the impact you have on them.
- Reflect on how you want to be seen and work on presenting a positive image.
- Identify and overcome any negative thinking habits you may have.
- Identify different communication styles in action and flex your style to influence others.
- Convey your message clearly, concisely and assertively.
- Ensure you have understood the message others convey to you and avoid listening blocks.
- Recognise how behaviours impact the effectiveness of communication and select the most appropriate behaviour to the situation.
- Consider the effective use of different room environments and layouts and technology, e.g phone, audio and video conference, webex.
To gain the maximum benefit from the course, you will be sent a pre-course questionnaire to complete which asks you to consider current expectations. This will help you set the context of the course and the information you provide will be used on the day as part of the course activities.
What Is Effective Communication? Filters, Perceptions and Styles
- Overcoming potential barriers to communication (eg filters and perceptions)
- Clarifying how you wish to portray yourself
- Exploring how you are perceived by others (personal assessment/feedback)
- Understanding and softening different perceptions and communication barriers
- Exploring styles of communication and experimenting with different styles
Assessing Relative Difference - Thinking Styles and Assertiveness
- How to identify and overcome negative thinking styles
- Identify hidden emotions and messages through observation
- Tackling difficult behaviour, delivering difficult messages and maintaining the relationship
- Recognising assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours, and choosing an appropriate response
Building Rapport – Creating a Productive Relationship
- Use of questioning – softening the barriers, using the right approach
- Listening – what to listen for, how to discern acceptance or resistance
- Listening to understand – focus on active listening and reducing listening blocks
How to Influence Others
- Consider the pros and cons of a range of influencing styles
- Requirements and process for moving someone from an entrenched position
- Using and controlling your emotions through words, sounds and presence to create impact
- Handling difficult situations and delivering difficult messages
Communicating in Meetings: Using Technology in Senior and Multicultural Environments
- Meetings – getting heard, being taken seriously, taking control, getting a decision
- Responding to others’ ideas – sharing understanding, support and appreciation
- Communicating effectively using different room layouts and technologies, e.g. audioconference, videoconference and webex
- Engaging with senior and with multicultural audiences (initial suggestions)
Presenting a Positive Image - Personal Application Plan
- Projecting a more confident image through improved communication skills
- Putting communication skills into practice