This course demonstrates how to complete the appropriate paperwork, follow the correct procedures and present the evidence to bring about a successful claim.
Once all other avenues have been exhausted, the final option to recover a debt may be by suing the customer. This highly practical course equips delegates to process a claim through the County Court without the use of a solicitor.
Suitable for anyone wishing to recover trade debts by processing claims through the courts themselves without using a solicitor.
The ‘Do It Yourself’ Approach
- When is it appropriate to pursue your own claims?
- What is the impact on the credit department?
- How it affects your relationship with customers
- Check you are making the right decision to sue
The Legal Framework
- Understand the essential legal principles
- Be familiar with the legal jargon
- The court system
- Background to the Civil Procedures rules
Step by step Through the Court Process
- Pre-action protocols
- Issuing proceedings
- Claiming interest on the debt
- Serving the claim form
- How and when can you proceed against a defendant outside England and Wales
- Obtaining judgment
- Setting aside default judgments
- Allocation: small claims track, fast track and multi track
Enforcing a Judgment
- Using an order to obtain information from judgment debtors
- Sending in the bailiffs
- Attachment of earnings
- Third party debt order
- Charging orders
- Learn how to complete the paperwork
- Understand the timescales involved
- Know the costs involved
- Ensure you are properly prepared at every stage