This virtual course explores the key terms and definitions in the area of diversity, inclusion and cultural awareness – what they mean to us as individuals and to the organisations that we work in. By understanding the business case for diversity and inclusion, as well as the moral and social benefits, you will recognise the practical benefits of transforming your own behaviour and influencing cultural change within your organisation. You will take a close look at the business practices in your organisation and consider how to ensure that no one is unintentionally excluded from any area of working life.
You will also analyse the most common forms of bias that we all experience – how they present themselves and how they affect our thinking and behaviour. This awareness will help you to overcome your own biases, in order to demonstrate inclusive behaviour and build better relationships with people from different cultures.
This course is designed for anyone wishing to gain a deeper understanding of diversity and inclusion, and to improve their own cultural awareness in order to promote a more diverse and inclusive working environment.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the business benefits of diversity and inclusion
- Apply tools and techniques to support the implementation of inclusive practices in the workplace
- Recognise and challenge non-inclusive behaviour you observe in the workplace
- List three types of unconscious bias and explain where they come from
- Identify micro-inequities and micro-affirmations
- Describe a range of strategies to overcome the negative impact of unconscious bias
- Develop stronger relationships with individuals from cultures different to your own
- Defining diversity – the importance of difference in the workplace
- The link between cultural diversity, an inclusive environment and organisational success
- Recognising how different cultures are manifest within an organisation
- Developing a higher level of cultural competence
- Discovering how to promote and embed inclusivity into all working practices and the overall work environment
- Understanding different types of unconscious bias and where they come from
- How to mitigate the negative effects of unconscious bias to improve your judgement and decision-making
- Identifying and calling out behaviour in the workplace that cultivates a non-inclusive environment
- Overcoming the barriers to building multi-cultural relationships