This course covers how to take control of communication in the crucial early moments after a negative news event.
Handling the Media in a Crisis is a Two days advanced-level crisis media communication course. It covers how to engage the press during a PR crisis and how to take control of communication in the crucial early moments after a negative news event.
You will learn to activate crisis systems quickly, develop positioning on the fly, take charge of the news media, and manage the online space. Training includes videotaped crisis TV interview coaching.
This is an advanced-level course designed for learners in senior roles, aspiring to mastery and innovation. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation.
This course is recommended for anyone who may be involved in the media and online communication response to a crisis affecting their organisation, either behind the scenes or as a spokesperson.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Manage your organisation’s communication during and after an event that threatens its reputation
- Create crisis messages, positioning and response tactics response rapidly and decisively
- Engage confidently with journalists and in online social media at the height of a negative news crisis
- Represent your organisation effectively even in the most challenging of crisis interviews
The Golden Hour
This module covers how to seize the opportunities and set the agenda in the crucial early moments after a crisis event.
- Enabling factors for rapid response
- Realities of crisis response: prioritisation
- Integrating communication with operational responses
- Holding statements and social media
This module covers how to create and deploy effective and appropriate core messaging for negative news events.
- Universal principles of crisis messaging
- Proforma positioning
- Techniques for rapid message development
- Message development workshops
Handling the Media
- How journalists cover crises
- Understanding crisis story templates
- News dynamics in a crisis
- Crisis media workshops
Crisis Media Interviews
This module consists of best practice briefing followed by individual practice and coaching in simulated on-camera crisis interviews.
- Crisis media training
- Handling difficult questions and high-pressure interviews
- Media interviews under pressure
- Role play practice