The ILM Level 5 Award in Leadership and Management has been designed to give practising or aspiring middle managers a solid foundation for their formal development in this role.
This is a concise qualification made up of two units. In the first unit, 'Becoming an Effective Leader’, participants explore the nature of the middle management role and critically evaluate their own managerial ability.
In the second unit, ‘Managing Stress and Conflict in the Workplace’, participants explore the techniques for dealing with conflict and implementing conflict resolution. This module also focuses on stress management within the organisation and asks the candidates to assess their own and the organisation’s ability to recognise and manage stress effectively.
Suitable for either practising or aspiring middle managers looking to gain a professionally recognised qualification.
Benefits of attending:
- Gain a recognised national qualification for managers
- ILM ‘Learner Membership’ status giving access to a range of benefits
- Participate in practical workshops
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the specific responsibilities of middle managers in enabling an organisation to achieve its goals.
- Understand how communication and interpersonal relationships affect managerial performance in the workplace.
- Evaluate personal development opportunities to improve your own managerial style.
- Review the motivation, commitment and goals of the people you lead.
- Review your own ability to motivate people and build commitment to achieve the organisation’s goals.
- Identify effective emotional intelligence techniques that build upon your own communication style.
- Understand your own stress levels and explore how to thrive under pressure.
Understanding the Management Role
- The role of the middle manager and its part in achieving organisational goals
- Key responsibilities of the middle manager
- Management styles and assessing your current style
- The importance of effective communication
- Influencing and persuading techniques
- Understanding organisational politics
- The power of networks
Assessing Your Own Leadership Capability
- The difference between management and leadership
- The responsibilities of a leader
- Emotionally intelligent leader – assessing your style
- Transactional and transformational leadership
Motivation and Delegation
- Introduction to motivational theories
- Developing your staff through delegation
- What can you delegate?
Emotional Intelligence (EI)
- Background to emotional intelligence
- Practical emotional intelligence techniques
- Benefits of EI
Managing Difficult Situations
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organisation in recognising workplace stress and conflict and providing necessary support mechanisms
- Critically evaluate your own ability to identify and deal with workplace stress and conflict effectively in your own area of responsibility
After the course you will complete two assignments. Upon successful completion of these assignments you will obtain the ILM Level 5 Award in Leadership and Management.
In the first assignment, ‘Becoming an Effective Leader’, you will be asked to assess and review your current leadership style and identify your strengths and development areas. This will result in a detailed action plan that enables you to further develop your leadership capability.
The second assignment will cover evaluating the effectiveness of your organisation in recognising workplace stress and conflict and the necessary support mechanisms. In addition, you will critically evaluate your own ability to identify and deal with workplace stress and conflict.
As part of this award you will be offered 3 hours of tutorial support.
All learners gain free studying membership of ILM for one year. Designed to help candidates get the most from their course and advance their management career, studying membership gives access to a wide range of specialist support and development materials and services. Once registered, candidates can activate their ILM studying membership online at i-l-m.com/activate.
At any time candidates can upgrade to become a full ILM professional member - giving an additional range of membership services and the use of post nominal letters (e.g. AInstLM).