Topics include internal communication strategy, planning, platforms, tools and campaigns. You will build a toolkit of techniques for internal campaigns as well as everyday employee engagement, including online innovations.
This course is a highly practical, vocational, “how-to” programme based around real-world tools, checklists and processes that will be immediately useful to you back in your day job.
You will not have to sit through long lectures or presentations – this course uses active learning to help you internalise the topic and apply it in the real world.
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques.
This course is recommended for managers, executives, communication and PR professionals required to design, manage or evaluate internal communications strategies, campaigns or activities.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define and articulate the strategic principles and rational for internal communications.
- Create an internal communication strategy for your organisation.
- Design organisational systems and a practical action plan for internal communication.
- Deploy internal communication across all of the key channels and platforms using a toolbox of techniques.
- Create, manage and roll out internal communication campaigns and programmes.
- Promote employee engagement and management visibility.
This module explores and defines the core principles and defining concepts that underlie practical and strategic internal communications.
- Strategic role of internal communications
- Principles of change management
- Rationale for investing in internal communications
- Business benefits
Mechanisms through which internal communication adds value: motivation, productivity and knowledge sharing
Recruitment and retention
Strategy and planning
This module covers how to create an internal communication strategy complete with organisational systems and a practical action plan.
- Defining your organisation’s value set
- Aligning internal communications with business goals
- Organisational models for internal communications
- Defining goals and objectives for internal communications
- Internal communications research tools (e.g. employeefocus groups and internal surveys.)
- Evaluating internal communications
Platforms and channels
This module presents a toolbox of practical internal communication techniques and channels.
- Internal communications systems and processes
- Internal projects and campaigns
- Newsletters, posters, environmental branding, brand collateral
- Online internal communications: intranets, internal blogs
- Face to face: team meetings, staff events etc.
Campaigns and programmes
This module is a how-to guide to launching internal communication programmes, based on case studies of award winning campaigns from around the world.
- Creating and rolling out internal brands
- Managing internal values campaigns
- Multimedia internal campaigns including web video
- Recognition and reward programmes
- Employee performance showcasing
- Alignment of internal communications with corporate responsibility
- Community engagement and volunteering programmes