This one-day high impact workshop focuses on how to prepare you for interviews. You will learn how to improve your listening skills as well as how to structure your competency-based interview answers.
The course will help you understand the purpose of competency-based interviews and how you can prepare yourself before your interview so you make an impact on the day.
Suitable for anyone who is attending an internal or external interview, for individuals who need to increase their confidence in interviews and for those who would like to understand more about the competency-based approach to interviews.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Write down the purpose of competency-based questions.
- Identify ways of demonstrating active listening.
- Present yourself in interviews confidently.
- Prepare and provide answers to competency-based questions using the STAR technique.
- Understand the importance of receiving feedback from interviews.
- Create a personal development plan.
The Myths of Interviews
- Competency-based interviews – what are they and why do organisations use them?
- Your role, the interviewer’s role and the structure of the interview
- What is active listening?
- Listen, ask, rephrase, respond and summarise
Creating the Right Impression
- First impressions – must be right impressions!
- Take care of your appearance
- Adapt your body language to reinforce your speech
Competency-Based Interview Questions
- Understand the format of competency-based questions
- Matching your answers to the competencies of the job
- Forming answers to competency-based interviews – the STAR technique
- Building rapport with the interviewer
- How to ask your questions
- The purpose and importance of feedback
- Structures which help receiving feedback – the SARAH model
Personal Development Plans
- Create a personal development plan to support you in interview excellence