Understand marketing fundamentals. Create actionable plans.
This course will help you understand essential principles, reference critical models and confidently create marketing plans that deliver value to your business. You’ll make better marketing decisions as a result.
Suitable for anyone working in a marketing role or who is new to marketing who may not have had any formal training and wants to get to grips with the essentials. Also suitable for those who have worked in marketing for a while and need a refresher on the core principles.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Advance your understanding of essential marketing principles, tools and techniques.
- Identify, profile and more deeply understand target customers.
- Analyse your company’s operating environment and identify market opportunities.
- Set SMART marketing objectives that drive your decision making and action.
- Set marketing strategies to drive growth in market or product sales.
- Create a tactical marketing plan detailing all the activities required to achieve your objectives.
- Critically evaluate and deploy the right marketing tools for your business.
- Measure the effectiveness of your marketing decisions and activity.
- What do we mean by marketing?
- What are the key components?
- What is marketing for?
- What can it achieve?
Benefits of Planning: the Recommended Model
- Understanding your operating environment (customers, company, competition)
- Understanding your customers (profiling, segmentation and targeting)
- Understanding your business SWOT, PEST analyses
- Using Boston Consulting Group and Product Life Cycle models to assess actual performance, growth potential and use of resource
- Understanding your competition, using Perception Analysis
Setting Realistic Objectives
- Setting action-oriented smart objectives for the business, sales, marketing and marketing communications
Setting a Marketing Strategy
- Setting the right strategic direction and pinpointing short, medium and long term opportunities using the Ansoff matrix (assessing the relevance of market penetration, market development, product development and diversification)
- Understanding and creating tactical plans that will deliver on objectives focused on the following (7Ps):
- Product (and service) innovation
- Place (how and where you do business and get the product to market)
- Promotion (selecting the right promotional activities)
- Price (putting in place the right approaches to pricing)
- People (who delivers, what is the impact on upskilling, training and development)
- Process (physical and digital processes to allow for growth)
- Physical evidence (what the service looks like to the outside world)
- Establishing the most appropriate communication tools and platforms and best practice tips for:
- Offline advertising
- Websites and SEO
- Blogging and content
- Email marketing
- Social media
- Online advertising
Evaluation and Improvement
- Monitoring and improving performance by interpreting data and analytics (in relation to SMART objectives)
- Measuring KPIs and sales
- Establishing what worked and what didn’t
- Setting new objectives and adjusting approaches