Never has the phrase 'the world's getting smaller' been truer than it currently is. Globalisation and technological advances mean it's just as easy to do business with someone in a different continent as it is with someone in the next street.
As a result, international account managers interact across borders to bring in new business and extract maximum value from existing relationships. By their very nature, international account management roles involve interacting with people from different cultures and locations, requiring a sensitivity to other cultures and the ability to create connections with people from any walk of life. Add to this the logistical challenge of time zones, language and the use of technology to close business and the role of an International Account Manager is not only complex, but unpredictable and unconventional by design.
This one-day course aims to assist account managers and professionals to develop the intercultural competence and communication skills required when selling across cultures. By the end of this course, you will understand the key issues and motivators that drive your international clients, and will be aware of the skills and strategies you need to sell to them more effectively.
This course is suitable for new or established account managers who are moving into an international role for the first time.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
• Understand the impact of cultural difference and its effect on business.
• Differentiate between cultural ritual and body language.
• Research your clients’ culture.
• Build relationships across cultures.
• Adapt your sales strategy to be effective cross-culturally.
• Culture in a Business Context
• An introduction to Hofstede’s five dimensions of cultural difference and their impact on business culture
• Comparing your culture to the culture of the country you are visiting, and the potential impact on your business relationships
• Maintaining control and composure when meeting others
• Building Cross-Cultural Relationships
• Recognising the human beneath the ritual and how to build relationships
• Understanding the importance of trust and integrity
• Managing relationships with others
• Using Technology to Manage Your Time and Resources
• It’s not all about travel
• The power of video/voice and IM
• The importance of maintaining communication flow and recognising when a face-to-face meeting is the only solution