This is a highly interactive programme focusing on real life insights and practical everyday business examples. The programme will build confidence and skill for first time managers with some experience as they work with their most important and yet complex resource – PEOPLE.
This fast-paced programme introduces the manager with some experience to many of the key fundamentals of the managerial role. It is delivered and facilitated in a highly engaging manner through the subtle use of multimedia and storytelling.
Day one focuses on four key management and leadership behaviours that will enhance your ability to lead and manage individuals and teams. The course explores the core competencies of management, examining emotional intelligence techniques to build self-awareness and credibly, the art of setting direction, performance management and how to have open, honest and productive conversations with both individuals and the team.
Day two focuses on how managers manage and develop others. This second part of the programme unlocks the secrets of what makes great teams great, looks at strategies on how to lead change in the workplace and emphasises why the ability to be able to engage and understand others is a key skill for managers in today’s business reality.
The programme provides delegates with a thorough grounding in the principles of managerial excellence. Through working with other new managers on the programme, participants get to share experiences, practise new skills and gain feedback in a risk-free environment.
Suitable for new managers with some experience at managing or those with little formal management training who are seeking an introduction to management techniques.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify, relate to, and put into practice the four characteristics of highly effective managers.
- Plan, prioritise and delegate effectively.
- Understand how to manage performance in such a way as to get the very best from your people.
- Use a range of strategies for managing and developing a highly motivated and effective team.
- Recognise the need for change in today’s business reality and be able to manage change.
- Engaging and understand others using a range of techniques.
The Four Characteristics of Highly Effective Managers
- Identifying the qualities associated with a highly effective manager
- What do managers do? – the four broad areas of management
- The self-aware leader – tips and techniques that underpin credibility
- Core management actions – where the manager needs to concentrate their efforts in order to run an engaged and motivated team
Managing Performance – Getting the Best from Your People All Day, Every Day
- Honest conversation – how to have open and honest conversations that give performance momentum
- Best practice in planning, monitoring and reviewing - writing SMART objectives, carrying out informal monitoring
- Setting behavioural objectives
- A framework for an effective appraisal meeting
Managing Change – How to Manage Change in the Workplace
- Managing change
- Why we need to change
- The five stages in managing successful change
- What motivates you and your teams at work?
- Motivation 2.0 – what it means to motivate in today’s business environment
- Coaching – one of the most important skills for a manager
The Key Skills of Brilliant Time Managers
- Planning – the importance of goals
- Prioritising – a time management challenge (activity)
- How well do I delegate? – the principles of successful delegation
Managing the Team
- How to get the best out of the team
- Performance clinic – tips and guidance for overcoming current challenges in the workplace