This practical two-day course will provide you with the essential skills to manage and motivate your team to achieve their best performance.
You will explore the link between high-performing individuals, teams and businesses. You will receive guidelines for setting objectives, develop your feedback skills, find out how to inspire demotivated people and learn to celebrate success.
Suitable for managers who have responsibilities for evaluating and managing their team members’ work. This course will help you support the individuals and the whole team achieve their potential.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the link between effective performance management and business results.
- Monitor and measure performance against agreed goals.
- Go through the performance improvement cycle to encourage individuals to reach agreed goals and pick up any development opportunities.
- Confidently deal with difficult performance issues.
- Recognise when to give formal and informal motivational feedback.
You will be asked to think about the way appraisals and performance are currently handled in your workplace, what you like and dislike and specific situations you would like to discuss on the training course.
Defining Performance Management
- What is performance management?
- The manager’s role in performance management
- Contributing factors to performance and benefits of performance management
Setting Clear Expectations and Objectives
- Setting clear expectations
- Cascading objectives so they are familiar to the team
- Using SMARTER criteria
- Creating consistent task and behavioural objectives
- Understanding the stress curve
Managing and Motivating for Individual Performance
- Identifying your preferred style
- Flexing your personal leadership style to get the most from each individual
- Practical approaches for managing a variety of performance levels in the team
Improving and Developing Performance
- Identifying performance gaps
- Spotting coaching opportunities for improvement
- Celebrating success with regular praise
- Monitoring and evaluating performance
- Applying GDPR principles to gathering and storing performance data
- Providing motivational feedback using the seven step feedback planner
- Structuring the performance review and appraisal conversation
- The performance improvement cycle
Managing Poor Performers
- Identifying the likely causes of performance problems
- Solving performance problems – the performance improvement plan
- Using performance improvement plans
Discipline and Grievance
- Handling discipline – an overview of the procedure
- The disciplinary hearing, penalty, appeals
- A four-step approach to grievance resolution
- Sources of help and ACAS
Review and Close
- Formulating an action plan