This practical one-day course will help you increase the accuracy and context of your written content.
Learn the latest tried and tested techniques, symbols and glossaries to support your proofreading work on all forms of written communication in your organisation, including informal emails, reports and marketing materials.
Designed for those who need to ensure accuracy when checking and proofreading either their own or others' written communication. This introductory course is not suitable for professional publishers or copy editors.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Proofread documents in three key stages.
- Identify common errors in grammar and punctuation.
- Learn tips and techniques for effective proofreading
- Use the common proofreading symbols.
- Perfect your writing for professional effect.
- Relax your ‘computer screen’ eyes using simple exercises.
You will be asked to complete a pre-course questionnaire which will help the trainer to focus on your individual needs.
Why is Proofreading Important?
- Image, cost and accuracy
- The importance of double and triple checking
- Making time and taking a structured approach to proofreading
The Three Stages
- Scanning the document for sense and a logical layout
- Is it presented well? Are the sentences and paragraphs effective?
- Careful proofreading for accuracy
Refresh your English Language
- How is your grammar?
- Avoiding the confusion of incorrect punctuation
- Recognising common mistakes
- Consistency and numbering
- Should you rely on Spellcheck?
Can you see the Wood for the Trees?
- Foolproof techniques for checking writing
Marking up Documents
- Legibility – don’t turn the paper into a battlefield
- Common proofreading symbols
- Where and when to use symbols
- Creating your personal action plan for the future