This practical workshop takes you through the stages of strategic purchasing / procurement – from initial discussions with stakeholders all the way through to the research, selection and management of suppliers.
The strategic approach is usually accompanied by longer-term partnerships and you will look at how to achieve value for everyone involved in the deal.
As a result of attending this workshop you will be equipped to deal with more complex and business-critical procurement projects and learn about tools and approaches that will allow you to get the best out of your suppliers.
Throughout the two days, you will be asked to develop your own approach to strategic purchasing so that you can ensure that goods or services are purchased in a professional, sustainable and effective manner.
This workshop is designed to help people who are managing larger or longer-term procurement projects. If you are new to the role, it will give you an understanding of what it involves and some tools to get started in a professional and effective way.
If you already undertake strategic purchasing projects, the course is a useful refresher and you will pick up some additional ideas and tools to extend what you already do.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of a strategic approach to purchasing and the key activities involved.
- Be able to research the market and collate the data that is most critical to adding value from your purchasing activity.
- Develop a supplier engagement and leadership strategy.
- Manage negotiations to achieve supplier partnerships that create value for both your organisation and your strategic suppliers.
- Apply these principles to the needs of your own organisation.
You will be asked to bring at least one example of a strategic purchasing project or activity with which you are currently, or have recently been, involved. This could involve purchasing goods, services or both.
Understanding Purchasing Strategy & Leadership
- What does it mean and how does your organisation measure up?
- An overview of the Strategic Purchasing cycle
Strategic Purchasing Cycle
- Spend analysis
- Understanding the value of your suppliers
- Supplier market intelligence
- Developing supplier selection criteria
- Portfolio analysis
- Making the in-sourcing vs outsourcing decision
- Understanding Framework Agreements and their uses
- Supplier selection options
- Negotiation strategies
Supplier Engagement and Performance Management
- Strategies for supplier partnership
- Developing a supplier engagement strategy
- Preparing for contract exit