This practical and energetic two-day workshop provides all the skills sales people need to conduct profitable negotiations and maintain positive long-term business relationships.
This workshop will enable you to negotiate the best possible terms, seek out the buyer’s real position and business drivers. You will understand how to negotiate based on offering solutions and adding value rather than price-focused conversations. The learning process is accelerated using interactive techniques to enable delegates to negotiate with confidence and skill back in the workplace.
Suitable for sales people and others who negotiate with customers in a sales environment and either have to develop a negotiation skills base from scratch or wish to re-examine and refresh their existing techniques.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Secure collaborative win-win results.
- Develop a negotiation strategy that supports rapport building and assertive conversations.
- Understand and demonstrate the six steps to negotiation.
- Use the most appropriate strategies and tactics for effective negotiation.
- Understand and demonstrate how to create value in your proposals that don’t only focus on price.
- Strategise and prioritise your concessions and their trade value.
- Understand the role of procurement/purchasing and how to develop rapport with limited contact.
- Identify and demonstrate how to negotiate via written communication only.
- Be able to calmly work through client objections to manoeuvre through deadlocks.
- Get past deadlocks and achieve profitable agreements.
- Prepare and plan for the best possible results.
- Recognise when and how to close the deal.
- Understand the behaviours and signals of your client and respond to secure the best deal.
In preparation for this course, please bring with you examples of emails/letters that you have sent to clients in the past.
Please also think of a negotiation where improvements could have been made.
Planning Your Negotiating Strategy
- Win-Win collaborative negotiation – what does this mean for you?
- How to plan and prepare for a successful negotiation.
- Negotiation styles – identifying the different styles and their outcomes.
- Creative use of concessions to reduce price discounting while maintaining mutual value.
- Calculating and using your “No Deal Below”
- How to negotiate creatively
- How to avoid weakening your position
- Giving and getting concessions
Building Rapport – The Buyer as a Person
- Understanding human behaviour and mindsets
- Procurement - getting them on side
- How to listen for what’s NOT being said
- Verbal and non-verbal communication – controlling yours and reading theirs.
- Assertive body language and written communication
- Understanding what part of your proposal isn’t suitable if declined
Tactics and Techniques
- Techniques for opening and developing negotiations
- Rapport building – reducing barriers
- Identifying the negotiating games people play
- Recognising negotiation tactics and how to bring the conversation back to a collaborative negotiation
- Assessing and redressing the balance of power
- Recognising developmental areas; building on your strengths
- Committing yourself to change on return to the workplace
- Maintaining your motivation levels and boosting your drive