Being able to let go and delegate tasks to others can be one of the hardest managerial responsibilities. The temptation is just to do it yourself - after all you're likely to do a much better and quicker job. Let's face it, it's going to take more time than it is worth to explain to someone else how to tackle the task.
This all too common view only leads to disaster - lack of delegation will lead to you slowly drowning in work. Tasks will become half finished or poorly executed and you will end up with a disgruntled and demotivated team who are crying out to take on more responsibility.
This enlightening course will give you the confidence to let go of tasks without losing control and give you the skills to use delegation as a motivational tool to increase performance.
This introductory course is suitable for all supervisors, team leaders and managers who need to boost their delegation skills to improve the efficiency of their teams.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Improve productivity and efficiency through effective, intelligent and planned delegation.
- Use your delegation style to identify the tasks that can and can’t be delegated, according to the strengths and weaknesses of the team.
- Strengthen your ability to delegate more varied and demanding tasks by accurately assessing the training and development needs of staff and implementing cost effective solutions.
- Ensure that new working arrangements improve work quality as well as quantity.
- Assess the risks of delegation accurately and plan for all eventualities.
- Ensure you and all your staff remain motivated, contributing appropriate skills and developing new ones to manage and complete activities and projects successfully.
Introduction to Delegation
- Why delegate?
- What does delegation mean?
- What cannot be delegated and why?
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Delegation
- The difference between delegation and ‘dumping’
- What happens when delegation goes wrong
Delegation at Work – a Practical Approach
- Delegating tasks to your team – a planned approach
- Setting targets and measuring performance
- Evaluating the effectiveness of your delegation style
Breaking Down the Barriers to Delegation
- Matching your delegation style to suit individuals
- Learning how to trust and give respect
- Understanding delegates’ expectations
- Maintaining team member’s self-esteem; the delegation process
Where Do You and Your Staff Want to Be?
- Developing your staff and yourself in tandem
- The benefits of smart delegation decisions
- Planning - the map to your destination
Delegation and Team Efficiency
- Monitoring your team’s time effectiveness
- Time as currency - spend it wisely, spend it well
- Benefits of delegation for the manager
- What can you do immediately on return to the workplace?
- How to use your personal wealth of skills and experience to foster sincerity and increase confidence