During this 90-minute virtual session, you will delve into the topic of unconscious bias and how it can affect our daily lives. The course will look at different types of bias that typically influence our thinking and decision-making processes. By the end of the session, you will have developed some strategies to help overcome the impact that unconscious bias can have in the workplace.
This short session is for people who would like to understand unconscious bias and develop the ability to mitigate its effects.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Explain the difference between our reflective and reflexive minds
- List three types of unconscious bias and explain where they come from
- Identify micro-inequities and micro-affirmations
- Describe a range of strategies to overcome the negative impact of unconscious bias
What is Unconscious Bias?
- Reflective and reflexive minds
- Pattern recognition
Types of Unconscious Bias
- Unconscious bias types
- Cognitive errors and unconscious bias
- Work-based study scenarios
- When does unconscious bias come into play?
Signs of Unconscious Bias
- Types of micro-messages
- How are micro-messages communicated?
Overcoming Unconscious Bias
- A two-way strategy solution
- Overcoming negative impacts
- Do’s and don’ts when interacting with different people
- Positive actions